Indonesia’s state oil company and agricultural firms have signed deals to increase their purchases of US goods, the country’s chief economic minister told AFP on Wednesday, as Jakarta lays the groundwork to avoid the worst of President Donald Trump’s tariffs. Southeast Asia’s biggest economy has pledged to step up agriculture, energy and merchandise imports to close the trade gap with Washington and earlier this week struck a $1.25 billion deal to buy more US wheat. Trump has threatened Jakarta with a 32 percent tariff on top of a base 10 percent if it does not strike a new trade agreement by August 1.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Suspected militant kills dozens in Burkina Faso

Four suspected militant attacks have killed 30 people, including 16 auxiliaries supporting…

7.6-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no casualties

A strong 7.6-magnitude earthquake hit deep under the ocean off Indonesia and…

Qatar waiting for Israeli response to ceasefire proposal

Qatar said it is waiting for Israel’s response to a new ceasefire…

‘No alternative’ to UNRWA: EU foreign policy chief

Cutting funds to UNRWA would amount to “collective punishment” against the Palestinian…