Hundreds of Bedouin civilians were evacuated from Syria’s predominantly Druze city of Sweida on Monday as part of a U.S. backed truce meant to end fighting that has killed hundreds of people, state media and witnesses said. With hundreds reported killed, the violence in the southern province of Sweida has posed a major test for interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa, drawing Israeli airstrikes last week and deepening fissures in a country fractured by 14 years of war. A ceasefire took hold on Sunday as interior ministry security forces deployed on Sweida’s outskirts. Interior Minister Anas Khattab said on Sunday the truce would allow for the release of hostages and detainees held by the warring sides.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Israeli military announces death of soldier in Gaza

The Israeli military announced that a soldier was killed in southern Gaza.…

British, Danish vessels collide, 2 gone missing

Stockholm/Copenhagen: It emerged on Monday that two Danish crew members of a…

Pakistan strongly condemns unprovoked violation of its air space

Pakistan strongly condemns the unprovoked violation of its airspace by Iran which…

Israeli army says it needs four weeks to finish Rafah operations

The Israeli army estimates that an additional four weeks are needed to…