Nearly 1,700 firefighters are battling Japan’s biggest forest fire in three decades, officials said Monday, as some 4,600 residents remain under an evacuation advisory. One person died last week in the blaze in the northern region of Iwate, which follows record low rainfall in the area and last year’s hottest summer on record across Japan. The fire near the city of Ofunato has burned through some 2,100 hectares (5,200 acres) since Thursday, the Fire and Disaster Management Agency said Monday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Israeli army says it launched strikes on 30 targets in Gaza Strip

The Israeli military said the air force struck about 30 targets in…

Japan prolongs virus emergency until the end of September

AP reported Japan has extended the state of emergency due to coronavirus…

Israel orders ‘immediate’ evacuation of 23 villages in Lebanon

The Israeli army has ordered the residents of 23 villages in southern…

Satellite photos show starving Gazans storming aid convoys

Satellite photos have revealed the severity of hunger in Gaza. Images show…