TOKYO: A Japanese government panel said Thursday it has slightly raised its estimated probability of a “megaquake” to up to 82 percent in the next 30 years. Such a jolt could potentially have a devastating 8-9 magnitude, trigger colossal tsunamis, kill several hundred thousand people and cause billions of dollars in damage, experts say. The Earthquake Research Committee said it has increased its estimate of the probability to between 75 and 82 percent from between 74 and 81 percent previously.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘Significant progress’ in talks with Spain: UK

Britain and Spain have made “significant progress” in talks over an agreement…

Crime and sexual offences surge in Israel, opposition leader Lapid tells Knesset

Israeli opposition leader Yair Lapid has criticised the Netanyahu government over rising…

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards claim the missile attack

On March 13, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) took responsibility for ballistic…

Palestinians use clay pots to keep water cool in electricity-short Gaza

The need to keep water cool in Gaza, where electricity is in…