Revenue from Egypt’s Suez Canal dropped by nearly half in January, as Houthi rebels’ attacks on commercial vessels forced major shipping companies to divert away from the key global trade artery. Income from the strategic waterway last month dropped to $428 million, compared to $804 million in January 2023, Admiral Osama Rabie, chairman of the Suez Canal Authority, told Egyptian television channel ON TV. The number of ships passing through the Suez Canal last month fell to 1,362, down 36 percent from the 2,155 during January 2023, Admiral Rabie said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Thai woman accused of murdering 12 friends

Thai police say they have arrested a woman suspected of killing 12…

Gaza death toll rises to 63,557

Israel’s war in Gaza has killed at least 63,557 Palestinians and injured…

Rupee extends recovery for fifth session, Dollar drops to Rs 170.54

On Tuesday, the Pakistani rupee gained 75 paisas (+0.44%) against the US…

US blocks Venezuelan government from paying Maduro’s legal fees, lawyer says

The US has blocked the Venezuelan government from paying for Nicolas Maduro’s…