US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said President Donald Trump “personally” engaged with Syrian President Ahmad Al Shara to halt fighting between Damascus and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). “The President engaged personally not once but twice with Al Shara, and he said stop the fighting so that we can move the ISIS prisoners that are there,” Mr Rubio told a press conference with Slovakia’s Prime Minister Robert Fico. The US last week completed the transfer of nearly 7,000 suspected ISIS fighters to Iraq from prisons and camps in north-east Syria as the Syrian government extended its control into the previously SDF-held area. Rubio said Trump told the Syrian President that thousands of ISIS prisoners could have broken out and created havoc if the fighting between the government and SDF continued.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Netanyahu says civilians can leave crowded Rafah before invasion

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu promised that civilians crammed into the southern…

Israel ready to let ships bring aid to Gaza’s shores: FM

Israel is prepared to let ships deliver aid to the war-ravaged Gaza…

Iran busts Mossad’s drone-producing factory in Tehran: Report

Iranian authorities claimed to have busted a drone-producing factory of the Israeli…

Sara Netanyahu meets with Israeli soldier freed from Gaza captivity

The wife of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met on Sunday with…